Food, London

Laduree Macarons

If there is a finer, better, more heavenly experience than sinking your teeth into Laduree macarons, I have yet to find it. I love macarons and drooling over photos of macarons others have made is one of my favourite past-times. I only tried them a couple years back, so if you haven’t had them, definitely do!

Laduree Macarons

They were chocolate, coffee, spicy berry (also called 1001 nights) and raspberry. The raspberry was my favourite. The spicy berry didn’t tickle my fancy much. They were tiny!

Apparently you’re not allowed to take photos at Laduree. Yes, I whip out my camera at all opportunities so while I was waiting in line, I was trying to take a few clicks when one of the girls there stopped me in earnest. Is there a good reason why you’re not allowed to take photos? She didn’t explain so I have no idea. In any case, I wasn’t too pleased and so I stepped further back and zoomed in for a photo (she really brought out the rebel in me).

Laduree

I will get a better shot next time.

I also tried some in Hong Kong that were just as good and had more exotic flavours. They were actually doubly expensive because they’re the same size as Laduree’s but cost about £3 each! When you’re spending foreign currency, you just don’t realize! Mango, passionfruit, hazelnut, coffee and pistachio. Loved the mango. Actually, love anything mango-flavoured.

Paul Lafayet Macarons

As a result of my expensive macaron obsession, my mom decided to make some herself to satisfy my cravings (ain’t she sweet?). This was the first time she tried making any. So you have to forgive the lumpy non-smooth surface and odd shape until she perfects her technique.

Homemade Macaron

It doesn’t look great, but I have to say it tastes amazing. I ate way too many pieces for my ever expanding waistline.

But I couldn’t help it!

Anybody else have any guilty pleasures?

Love,

Sharon xx

Esther

February 10, 2011

I need to try some. :) The store looks so cute! The only time I saw macaroons in real life was when I went to visit colleges (USC) and there was a humongous one, the size of my hand. My friend got one and she really liked it. I really want to try making it, but I’m not brave enough and I don’t have all the ingredients. (I can’t decide on which recipe to use too) Your mom is so sweet. :) My mom’s like that too. Whenever I’m craving something, even if I don’t tell her, she just makes it for me. Then when I find out, I’m like “How did you know I wanted to eat some?” We have some connection. :D I can’t wait for your mom’s recipe. It looks really good, it even has some feet!

February 10, 2011

Oh definitely! WOW, as big as the size of your hand?! That’s HUGE! Oh you totally should try and make it. I know it’d come out brilliant because you’re so good at baking! Seriously, you must :D haha. And when you post it up I’d be drooling all over my computer screen lol.

And yes! Even had the feet! I was gonna say that but I thought not many people would know what I meant by that haha. And don’t you just love that kinda mother-daughter connection? It’s like they can read your mind! Which makes it slightly dangerous when you’re up to no good haha :D

February 10, 2011

That is too funny, “And I don’t like ridiculous fussy rules like that so I stepped further back and zoomed in”. I think I would’ve been scared away by fussy bag lady. Kudos to you my friend!
    I love macarons! The perfect little bitesize desserts. Reminds me of mini hamburgers. They are definitely one of my top desserts. Your mom rocks for trying to make these for you! Mary, you totally rock! So so sweet of her. For her first time, that was actually really good. A lot of people have failed on their 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd times. Looks don’t matter much to me when it comes to food, as long as it tastes good, and I’m sure anything Mary makes will taste good.

February 10, 2011

I would’ve been too, but unless she had the power to arrest me or throw me out, I wasn’t too worried haha. It makes me wonder why the hired help do that sometimes. Or even those who serve ice cream or Subway or are really really stingy with how much they give you – like one smidgen piece of lettuce and no extra cucumbers when you don’t want other stuff. It’s not like they would be losing money or anything lol. Life is funny sometimes :).

Mini hamburgers! Only you can come up with descriptions like these haha. You’re so right! Ya she’s very sweet, and they did turn out better than we expected. She’s determined to get it perfect now. Wouldn’t matter much to me because I’d happily eat the whole batch as it is! :D

February 10, 2011

I’m so glad they turned out quite well…with feet (or legs????…..haha) some more. Otherwise I know you are going to be roaring with laughter while tucking it away non-stop!! I’m sure mine will turn out perfect one day….one….fine…..day! :D

February 12, 2011

Umm I don’t think they’d be called legs? Lol. Feet seems more appropriate haha. I wish I brought them all with me now. I can’t believe I only took TWO. They’re already perfect for me, the taste is too good! :D

Heavenly Housewife

February 10, 2011

My favorite Laduree flavours are pistachio and coconut, absolutely divine!
    *kisses* HH

February 12, 2011

Oh I must try coconut next time!

February 10, 2011

You are truly a girl after my own heart, Sharon, as Laduree macarons are one of my favorite indulgences too! Your mom was so sweet to make you some, bet they tasted fantastic!

February 12, 2011

The ones you made on your blog are amazing! I remember wishing I could have a piece haha. And ya they tasted amazing! I didn’t care too much if it didn’t look like the real thing lol.

February 11, 2011

Sharon, I adore macarons too! The homemade one with perfect feet!

February 12, 2011

Wasn’t as smooth as it should be but it was fabulous! :)

February 11, 2011

I’m drooling seeing the pic, mango flavor sounds divine…how sweet of mom, i don’t understand how mum can be so loving and can do anything for their love ones…:)

February 12, 2011

Your mom is really sweet too, from reading your posts :). Must be a mom thing ;) haha.

Cheah

February 11, 2011

I enjoyed these in Melbourne, think it’s 2AUD per piece. My girl made some and I just hung around to see and I don’t think I’ll try it on my own ….. way too much work and meticulous. To me hers were good being the first try but she wasn’t pleased with the result, although they do have ‘feet’.

February 12, 2011

They’re pretty pricey aren’t they! Wow they must’ve turned out great! It’s brilliant of her to make them! To have it come out with ‘feet’ on the first go is very impressive :D. I bet they’ll be perfect the more she makes them!

February 11, 2011

I have not seen macaroons like this in California. American ones are lumpy blobs made from coconut. Those look quite delish. I love mango, too!

I understand what you mean about taking pictures in stores. That is so irritating! I like to cheat the system and snap on the DL.

February 12, 2011

Lol I know right. Especially if there’s no good reason to not take photos. While writing this post I actually learned that they are two different things: macarons and macaroons. Macaron is French I think and Macaroons (with two o’s) are those coconut-y things. So they’re completely different. I think you might love macarons when you try them. Haven’t met anybody who doesn’t! :D

February 13, 2011

i still have not had tested macarons in my life. Sometimes when i see people making macarons , i feel so tempted but still not adventurous enough..actually i would like to see and eat the real macarons before making them. Must look out for mary’s post on this!

February 13, 2011

Lena, I bet yours would turn out FABULOUS. Seriously, just looking at your food photos makes my computer screen covered in drool lol. Ya you might get a better idea of how they’re meant to be if you’ve seen and tried the real thing. Then after that, you simply have to try and make it ;)

The Kitchen Masochist

February 14, 2011

I love macarons and have been wanting to attempt them but haven’t really gotten around to it.

I think most establishments don’t allow photographing in their places. This is why I don’t have any photos of food places I shop at because they’re quite strict about it over here. It has something to do with security purposes.

Now I want some macarons!

February 15, 2011

Thanks for dropping by :). Hope to see you making some macarons soon ;).

Oh that makes sense. About taking photos and security. Here I was thinking there’s no good reason haha.

Mary Lee

February 23, 2011

Ah thanks for the wonderful comment! These macaroons look lovely. i love the chocolate one and the green tea one the best, mm yum :)

February 23, 2011

Hi Mary! Macarons are delicious indeed ;)