Valentine’s Day is coming up! And it makes me excited because I see heart shapes EVERYWHERE. I have a bit of a soft spot for romance so it put me in the mood to make heart-shaped food. What can I say, I’m a huge cheesey cheesepuff! In any case, I decided to make some heart-shaped chocolate biscuits.
150 g butter, softened at room temperature
100 g castor sugar
2 medium eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
200 g plain flour
25 g cocoa powder
Icing (if you want it):
300 g royal icing sugar
50 ml cold water
Food colouring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (I use a fan oven). Beat butter and sugar until evenly mixed.
- Separate eggs. Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract to the butter mixture and mix well.
It’s brownish because I made a batch of chocolate cupcakes just before this and didn’t wash the bowl.
- Sift flour and cocoa and stir into the butter mixture until dough-y. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Roll out dough and cut out heart shapes. If you want a hole in the middle (you’ll see why), cut out a circle roughly 1 cm in diameter. Put the biscuits on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Leave to cool on the tray for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. And there you have it! I love the ribbons so that’s what the hole was for!
Put 50 ml water in a bowl and beat in icing sugar until smooth. You can divide into a few portions to add food colouring. Spread on cooled biscuits and leave to set.
Game of Love Checkers anyone?
RELATED POSTS YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: