Food

Wagamama Caramelized Sweet Potatoes Recipe

I’ve never tried this dish at the Wagamama Restaurant, but the picture looked really good from the book so I thought I should give it a go. This is why all cookbooks should come with photos! It’s also one of the easiest recipes I have ever tried. Plus this makes a great snack for when the hunger pangs strike (which happens about 83 times a day).

Wagamama Caramelised Sweet Potatoes (photo from cookbook)

Ingredients

250 g sweet potato, peeled and cut into thin wedges
Olive oil
1 tsp golden syrup
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp black sesame seeds (omitted because I didn’t have any)

Method

1. Place potato wedges on a baking tray and drizzle olive oil over it. The original recipe uses vegetable oil to deep fry the potato but I didn’t relish all the cleaning up afterward. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180°C for about 15 minutes or until brown.
    Sweet Potato Wedges

Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
  2. Combine golden syrup with lemon juice in a small saucepan over low heat.
  3. Pour over the potato wedges and stir well to coat. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds if you have them.

Caramelized Sweet Potatoes

Ok so the potatoes got a little burnt. But it tasted really good. I took it to a potluck lunch and someone actually asked me for the recipe (who me?). The first time ever. It felt so surreal. Normally it’ll be people wondering who brought the overly salty burnt pasta bake that I take a scoop out of so it doesn’t look so pathetic untouched.

I think it looks better deep fried, but it’s healthier baked. And the caramel is not a super thick and sweet caramel, which I liked. The lemon adds a tanginess to it and it’s something a little different to have with sweet potato.

This couldn’t be any simpler!

Some other Sweet Potato Recipes that I LOVE (made none other than my wonderful mom):

Sweet Potato Donuts

Sweet Potato Balls for Dessert

Sweet Potato Carrot Cake

Click HERE for more of her delicious Sweet Potato Recipes! Scroll down to her Sweet Potato Section.

January 20, 2011

oh my this is divine Sharon! send some my way please!

Haha anytime Jess!

January 20, 2011

Sharon This dish looks really tasty. What is golden syrup, exactly? I think that your baked version looks just as good as the fried, and healthy is a good thing–you then live longer to eat more fried stuff.

January 20, 2011

I didn’t know what it really was myself except that it’s sweet and I always thought it’s similar to maple syrup or something. But I googled it and it’s a pale treacle (I don’t know what treacle is). Basically a sugar syrup, looks similar to the syrupy honey and it’s very sweet. I suppose honey would be a nice substitute. Wikipedia says it’s harder to find in the States outside Louisiana (funny because I always thought it was probably invented in America!). Turns out it’s a British thing :).

Lyndsey

January 20, 2011

These look amazing, what a great snack. I agree about cookbook and photos. I know if I had a choice I always go for the one with pictures. I like the look of the caramelized taters, but the deep fried ones get crisper. Doesn’t it feel good when they ask for the recipe? Way to go!

January 20, 2011

Thanks Lyndsey :). Definitely feels good when they ask for the recipe haha. I would probably like the deep fried ones myself, but I didn’t like the thought of all the cleaning up of grease I had to do after – so I took the lazy way lol.

January 20, 2011

My kids would love these as would I. We’re big fans of sweet potatoes in this house. These look right up our alley. I’ve been wanting to make your Wagamama chili chicken noodle recipe but have yet to find Korean chili in my Asian grocery store. Looks like I’ll have to visit one of the Korean grocery stores. Was there a specific brand you used? Was it a Gochujang that you used?

January 20, 2011

Sweet potatoes are so good. It’s so great your kids love them because it’s so healthy and high in fibre. I never used to like them when I was little and my mom had to make me try them lol. And yup! It’s Gochujang. I don’t know of any other brands but I’m sure they’d be same. Gochujang is the only one they have here so that’s why I used it.

January 21, 2011

Thank you!

January 24, 2011

Sorry LeQuan! I don’t know why this went into spam and I just found it. You probably thought it was strange that it never appeared though you sent it a second time. Sorry about that!

January 21, 2011

Thank you, Sharon!

You’re welcome! :)

Drool…..

Haha thanks :)

Erica

January 20, 2011

These look delicious…..the perfect snack or side dish!!!

Thanks Erica! :)

January 20, 2011

I love baked sweet potato fries and yours look wonderful! (And the burned parts are actually my favorite! :) ) They’re also fantastic with a little hint of cinnamon sprinkled on…mmm…

January 20, 2011

Haha trust you to like the burnt parts! ;). The cinnamon is a great idea! Will have to try that sometime.

Juliana

January 20, 2011

Yummie, love sweet potatoes and love the idea of baking them in this tasty syrup with lemon…

January 20, 2011

The lemony syrup actually added a punch to it and I liked how the flavours blended. Wasn’t too sure when I read the recipe because lemon is sour but it worked well!

Fanny

January 20, 2011

omg potatoes! do you know that it is my favorite food, in every kind of preparation. hmmm i want my potatoes ! x

January 24, 2011

Hi Fanny, I’m glad to know you love potatoes! :). Sorry your comment hasn’t appeared, I just saw it in my spam box now. This happens sometimes, though I’m not sure why.

Gorgeousglam

January 20, 2011

Thanks for the lovely comment doll following you too! These sound delish! French fries of any sort are just my weak spot! And sweet potatoes are healthy so that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it! xo

January 20, 2011

Thanks for your comments too Miss Glam :). I’m much the same! And I have this thing where I like to eat McDonald’s french fried with their vanilla ice cream together. Sounds gross I know, but it’s really good! Lol.

January 20, 2011

Oooh….my favourite any time! You need to eat more of this…so healthy :D Sometimes forcing kids to try new food does work…at least on you…haha

January 24, 2011

Haha, yes it’s good. At least I love it now :)

Biren @ Roti n Rice

January 21, 2011

I love sweet potatoes and this sounds yummy. The black sesame seeds add a nice contrast.

January 24, 2011

I think the black sesame seeds look great too. Will make sure I have some for next time.

January 21, 2011

as of lately, i’m quite fond of potatoes and the one that you made here is just one very nice snacks for me..i can almost imagine how wonderful it’s going to taste with that caramel poured onto that…finger licking too!

January 24, 2011

Thanks Lena! I definitely enjoy them as a snack :)

Lazaro

January 21, 2011

I can see why this would become addictive. Great job!

Thanks Lazaro :)

Kristi Rimkus

January 23, 2011

Hi Sharon! I ADORE sweet potatoes. We just roasted some last night. I’ll be trying your recipe soon! They look perfectly caramelized and yummy!

January 24, 2011

Thanks Kristi! I hope you like it! Let me know if you do! :)

January 24, 2011

Oh completely agree that all cook books should have good pictures. for me any recipe i search, i always end up in selecting the good looking and way appealing pictures too cook!…potatoes looks fab, sometime i like with few little carbon in the food ;)

January 24, 2011

Thanks Ananda! Though erm…I don’t think you meant to write “carbon in food” but I can’t think what you might have really meant lol

Heavenly Housewife

January 24, 2011

Oh this sounds great. I love sweet potato, and I am really intrigued by the use of the golden syrup. Much better for you then the fried version.
    *kisses* HH

January 24, 2011

I thought it was interesting to use golden syrup too. When I read “caramelized” I thought it would be with sugar!

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit

January 25, 2011

These sweet potatoes look so good! I have a whole big box of them and need to find lots of ways to cook them. I’m with you- I like to have photos with my recipes. I like to know what my food is supposed to look like, even if it doesn’t. :)

January 25, 2011

Thanks Betty! :) I know what you mean, my food normally doesn’t turn out the way it should! ;)