Food, Travel

Sailing Trip to Seafood Restaurant

Hong Kong is probably one of the most exciting places I’ve ever been to (although Moscow comes pretty close). You get to experience everything from partying at a club on the 30th floor to attending art shows and the Philharmonic to haggling at local markets and being severely ripped off to exclusive Ferrari showcases to stuffing myself silly with mango desserts. Sorry, you get the idea.

But what I also got to do, was go sailing. For the first time. All because we wanted to go to a famous seafood restaurant for lunch. I have a terrible case of motion sickness (ferries, cars, buses) but I thought this would be so much fun. My friends were “helping” me prepare by telling me to practice going to the toilet on a wobble board. Fat lot of help they were.

Sailing

I always try to remember to carry travel sickness pills with me. Remembering to actually take them 30 minutes before a journey is the problem. When I get excited, I always forget the little things that seem to be completely insignificant at the time. I took a pill just as we were heading out but it obviously didn’t have time to kick in. I didn’t throw up (thanks goodness!) but I was feeling so ill and looking green. I was like a leprachaun, looking forward to my pot of gold that was dry land! We arrived a few hours later and walked up to the restaurant.

This restaurant.

Ming Kee Seafood Restaurant

I know what you’re thinking. This dingy looking place?! This is Asia for you. You get amazing restaurants that actually look amazing like L’atelier de Joël Robuchon and also amazing restaurants like these that look not so amazing. But trust me, it’s some of the best seafood I’ve ever had. Plus it has such a local feel! So this is Ming Kee Seafood Restaurant on Po Toi Island, a fishing village. On certain days you can take a ferry from Aberdeen (Aberdeen, Hong Kong) or the Stanley Blake Pier. But it was easier to sail out ourselves.

They had the world’s best fried black pepper squid. I have always hated squid and would pick it out of my plate, so this is saying a lot.

World's Best Fried Black Pepper Squid

There was also a strange shellfish that I have never tried before but was really delicious. I don’t even know what it’s called, so if anybody does, I’d like to know!

Shellfish I Don't Know The Name Of

Their lobster was fantastic. Though I was so excited to eat that I forgot to take a photo. It’s lobster, can you blame me? Plus it was all gone as soon as it came. The crab, fish and tofu were SO good too. Makes up for the boat ride, that’s for sure.

I was told that Po Toi Island is somewhat of a tourist attraction too. And apparently, there are famous rock formations there such as Tortoise Rock, Monk Rock, Buddha Hand Rock (how do they come up with these names?). Rocks just look like rocks to me so I was much more interested in the food. But hey, if you ever visit Hong Kong and decided looking at rocks would be an interesting addition to your itinerary, then this is the place to be! Just don’t take a geologist with you or you might be there for days.

I remembered to take my travel sickness tablet early before heading back. The only problem was I fell asleep on deck, exposed to the afternoon summer sun for hours, without sunscreen on (because I’ve never used it and was fine), and well, got terribly sunburnt for the first time in my life. The joys of sailing. I had not meant to fall asleep in the sun for hours.

In any case, it was a fantastic seafood restaurant. If you’re one of those people who think it’s all about the ambience and atmosphere then you’ll probably not like it so much. But if you’re up for something a little different and adventurous that will satisfy your palate, you’ll love this. Really. And it’s very fresh because you choose what you want from their aquarium then they take it out to cook.

January 5, 2011

Love that cuttlefish and that special shellfish. Is it called bamboo clam? It looks like a bamboo to me and so…haha. See, next time take me along…at least I will remind you to take the medicine in time :D

January 6, 2011

Oh I only googled this after googling razor clam. And whaddya know, it’s also called bamboo clam! How funny. Well, not really haha.

January 6, 2011

Hi five, Mary! Haha. I also learned it was called a bamboo clam today. Bamboo clam makes more sense to me though. Keep Learning, Keep Smiling ;-)

January 5, 2011

sorry about your sunburn…ouch! and too funny about the toilet thing.

i’ve learned through my travels in HK that a lot of the best places to eat are actually in the dingiest of places. i would choose food over atmosphere anyday. you’re making me so jealous of those eats…all of my favorites. i think that is called a razor clam. try googling that and see if it’s what you had. from your picture that’s what it looks like to me. seafood and i are very good friends…lol. i also agree with Mary, take me next time too. i’ll make sure you don’t fall asleep and get sun burn ;-)

January 6, 2011

Oh yeahhh it IS razor clam! I just googled it and looked at some photos. I finally learned what it’s called haha. Thanks! And of course I’d LOVE to have you both come along :D

January 7, 2011

I’ve been on a ferry ride to Hong Kong Island from the mainland. The water was so choppy that the thought of eating anything would have made me ill. However, I adore deep fried calamari and lobster prepared any which way, so I might rise to the occasion if I went to Ming Kee. (I felt sure reading this story that you were going to go to that famous Jumbo or whatever it is called restaurant on the large ship!)

I’ve never had razor clam but it looks exciting. Have you eaten jellyfish? I tried it only once, in Shanghai, but I’m not sure that I’d do so again.

January 7, 2011

Oh no, we wanted to head to Ming Kee for lunch but went sailing around somewhere first (I felt so sick I had no idea where we were – we passed Shek-O I think). I wanted to go to Jumbo but never had the time. Perhaps on my next trip there.

The clams were good :). Jellyfish, live uni, is there nothing you haven’t tried? ;). I haven’t had jellyfish before though I’d love to try it. And I’ve always wanted to visit Shanghai. I must’ve missed reading that post unless you didn’t write about restaurants overseas. Chinese food can be quite eccentric, like cow’s intestine, pig’s liver and chicken feet (none of which I like).

Chen

January 8, 2011

The seafood at that place is delicious! My family take the ferry and eat there once a month. But the toilets are very smelly. Otherwise if you can manage to wait until getting back to the mainland, then it’s a nice change of scenery (compared to the concrete jungle that is Hong Kong) and the perfect getaway place to spend a sunny Saturday afternoon! Very nice blog and pictures. Hope to see more. Chen

January 8, 2011

Um, I guess that’s good to know lol. I didn’t go to the toilets there so I have no idea. But yes, it’s quite a change from being right in the city. Thanks for dropping a comment Chen, and I’m glad you like the blog :).

January 10, 2011

I like the “Share the love” app, Sharon. :)

And I love sea foods too!

January 10, 2011

It’s cute huh? lol :)

And definitely gotta love seafood!

January 10, 2011

What is it called?

And I have a few questions about blogging on wp.org.

Where did you get your domain? I mean, did you pay for it? Or is there a site that gives domain for free which I just don’t know? And if you pay for it, isn’t it too costly?

Sorry. I’m really ignorant about this

Nicole

February 6, 2011

I LOVE the bamboo clam thingy! Yea I don’t know what it’s properly called either XD

February 6, 2011

They’re good aren’t they! :)