Outfits

Masquerade Mask

I have always loved masquerade masks. Especially the Venetian hand crafted ones, which are exquisitely beautiful. And don’t you just love the movies set in a time where people would wear masks to fancy balls? Doesn’t that touch of mystery just add to the class and sophistication of that era? I just think there’s something so sultry and seductive about it.

Of course these days, masks are just for fun and you only wear them if a party is masquerade-themed. And it just so happens I have one coming up. So on goes the scavenger hunt for a mask that I will like. And boy do I hate shopping when I go out with ONE specific purpose (I prefer wandering for hours, looking for anything that catches my eye). There are all kinds of masks out there and I wanted something classy and elegant. Without an overload of sequins and over-the-top feathers (which all of them had!). As far as fashion goes, I’m not the bold, ‘out there’ type. I like it simple.

But I finally found one to go with my black dress. It was silver grey with studded rhinestones. I loved it instantly. And it was different from the rest because it’s not made out of hard cardboard.

Masquerade Mask

A simple mask with a little black dress might sound boring. But sometimes less is definitely more.

I took it for a test drive when I got home. Didn’t look too bad!

Hmm...not TOO bad

UK high street fashion has not failed me yet! Well actually, it has once or twice, when I made really bad choices.

I made my eyes look very elaborate because I wanted to see if I could double it for an Ice Queen of Narnia costume. Didn’t quite work unfortunately. And when I tried glaring for effect like the Ice Queen did, my sister fell off the chair laughing. She said I looked constipated (I don’t want to show you that photo). I then threatened I’ll put stories of her on my blog. The whole room erupted in laughter.

“The Ice Queen turns people into stone and this is the best you can do?! I’m sooooo scared.”

My little sis. She can be such a pest. But I still love her.

So much for trying to look evil though.

RELATED POSTS YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:

Sporting A Zara Waistcoat
Blue and White Stripes
Evita Peroni Earrings

January 10, 2011

there’s always seem to be quite mysterious about the masquerade masks..like a story behind each of these masks. I like the one that you chose..though..very classy looking, not too exaggerating and i think it will complement the little black dress you will be wearing.

January 11, 2011

Exactly exactly! You couldn’t have said it better – “story behind each of the masks”. Can’t help but love it! And thanks, hopefully it’ll turn out as good as I picture it. Who knows, it might end up looking really odd haha

Heavenly Housewife

January 10, 2011

You look so pretty in your mask, its really beautiful. I agree, there is something so romantic about wearing a mask. I just dont think it would go down at my local Tesco LOL.
    *kisses* HH

January 11, 2011

Romantic is definitely the right word. I completely forgot to mention that. I can just imagine the reactions I would get if I walked into Tesco wearing the mask lol.

January 10, 2011

I must say this mask is really pretty and classy…looks nice even on me :D But dare not try the evil look lest everyone fell off the chair…haha.

January 11, 2011

How funny would it be if we got dad to try it on? Lol. And mom, you couldn’t look evil even if you tried!

January 10, 2011

This is a very nice mask. Where did you buy it from?

January 11, 2011

I’m thinking of posting details with the complete outfit soon if that’s ok? Definitely high street though :)

January 10, 2011

Such a beautiful mask, it looks really lovely on you! Hope you have a wonderful time at the upcoming party!

(By the way, loved the Ice Queen story…too funny!)

January 11, 2011

My sister can be such a cheek! And thanks! It makes me feel better when people like it too so I know I’m not going in a horribly wrong direction :)

January 10, 2011

Great taste on the mask, Sharon. The mask is beautiful, but YOU are the one that made it look beautiful. Hope you have great time at your upcoming party!

January 11, 2011

Aw thanks, that’s so sweet lol. I’m glad you like the mask! :D

Elin

January 11, 2011

Yes…the venetian handmade are nice. Wanted Jo to get one for me when she tour Venice , but she told me the better ones are costly and she didn’t like those cardboard ones..cheaper though :)

Yours looks great…sexy on you :)

January 11, 2011

Oh yes, the good quality ones can be really expensive. And the cardboard ones don’t look as good I think. The one I got is not quite up to venetian standards but I’m glad you like! :)

Elyse

February 5, 2011

It reminds me of a tiara you can wear around your eyes! Very elegant.

February 5, 2011

That’s such a great description! I love it :). Thanks for dropping by Elyse, and for leaving a kind comment. Do you have a blog too? Hope you’ll be back again and have a good weekend! :D

Nicole

February 6, 2011

Lovely mask! I went for a masquerade party a few years ago. Josh and I bought these plain cat masks and decorated them using PVA glue and coloured textured paper. It doesn’t look as tacky as it sounds. Haha. I basically ended up with a fox mask XD

February 6, 2011

LOL. A fox mask sounds awesomesauce! Very creative of you two – would love to see the masks! :D

Adam

February 8, 2011

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me where you got his mask, or just the name of the type of mask. Our prom is a masquerade and I NEED this mask!!! It is SO pretty!!!!

February 8, 2011

Hi Adam! I got this mask at Accessorize. I think it’s just called a masquerade mask. There were plenty of other designs as well, like black with studded rhinestones and feathers etc. Check it out, hope you find something you like! And enjoy your prom :D. A masquerade theme sounds brilliant! Let me know if you find a mask and hope I was of some help :)

Amy

February 17, 2011

Is there a link to where you got your mask? I’m going to a masquerade ball in about 2 weeks and I still haven’t found one I like until I seen yours.

February 17, 2011

Hi Amy! Thanks for dropping by :). I’ve sent you an email just in case you don’t read my reply, but I got it from Accessorize in Scotland. Their website is http://www.accessorize.com. Hope you find something you like and have fun at the ball! :D

Joyce T

February 17, 2011

Is pretty Sharon n suits u perfectly…unlike those boring ones…almost all the same designs..Malaysia definitely hard to find nice stuff like tat…

February 17, 2011

I was quite surprised to find it too. Usually can’t find any like that here as well. I thought of making my own sometime haha. When you come over we can make some silly ones and take photos lol!

Amy

February 17, 2011

Thanks for the link. However, I didn’t see any on their website. :( I knew I would find one I love and can’t get it.. Just my lucky.. hehe

February 17, 2011

Oh no. It’s strange they stopped selling any at all. I did have a look around some more and found this website http://www.simplymasquerade.co.uk/. I think their masks are gorgeous and look very classy too. They’re a bit pricier than the ones from Accessorize, although they have some nice ones for about £10. If you click on Masquerade Party Masks, there’s a GORGEOUS black and purple one that I think is super stylish. All this talk about masquerade mask shopping has got me wanting to buy some more! Haha.

Really hope you find something you like!

Miss Custard Bun

February 17, 2011

lol. Oh…yes…we sure gonna have tat silly little projects….is gonna be fun! i told my mum tat i wanna go tis year because i have 2 free tickets…which one is from last year n will expire tis april…i probably will ask for extension from my management..gotta plan well on it..i really wanna visit u all…

February 18, 2011

:DDD Definitely need to plan! Can’t wait till you come! We’re going to have a BLAST haha.

Kat

March 9, 2011

Hey, for prom at my school we are having a masquerade and I was wondering where you got your mask at?

March 10, 2011

Hi! I’ve just dropped you an email. I hope it doesn’t go into your spambox because sometimes that happens. But just in case it didn’t go through I’ll write a reply here and hope you check back to read it :). I got it from the store Accessorize. They have a website too (http://www.accessorize.com). But some other people who asked about this said they couldn’t find it on the website. So I found another called http://www.simplymasquerade.co.uk which has some brilliant masks ranging from the lower priced ones to the more expensive. Hope you find something you like and have fun at prom!! :D

Kat

March 11, 2011

Thank you :) I will definitely check those sites out! Thank you for your help

mikaela parry

March 28, 2011

I love the mask you purchased. There is a definite trend towards unstructured masks in lace. These not only look stunning but are very comfortable to wear.

Yasmin

October 12, 2013

Hu my name has Yasmin and i am very interested in buying one of these masks could you please tell me where to buy this,
    Regards,