Food

Banana Fritters In Coconut Batter

My First Recipe Book

I don’t like over-riped bananas. As long as my bananas have one brown dot on it, I don’t touch it. As it happens, I forgot to eat my bananas and all of them were practically brown. I was just about to throw them out when I found this recipe in my book. Banana Fritters in Coconut Batter. I love coconut and I imagine it adds a zing to the dish. I’ve had fritters in normal batter so this sounded interesting. Plus mom makes the most amazing Banana Fritters, which I personally like better (especially since I don’t have to make it myself *grin*).

This recipe is adapted from the book pictured.

Ingredients

1/2 cup glutinous rice flour
60 g desiccated coconut (omitted because I didn’t have any but you might like to add it)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
3 tbsp coconut milk
3 tbsp water
Bananas
Oil for frying

Method

1. To make the batter, put the flour, coconut, sugar, sesame seeds, coconut milk and water in a bowl and whisk to a smooth batter. Add more water if too thick.

Batter
  2. Peel bananas and cut in half lengthways (and in half crossways if bananas are large).

Bananas
  3. The recipe says to deep fry, but I don’t like using so much oil (a hassle to clean up the kitchen). So I used less oil and pan-fried my fritters. Far less oily and fattening too. Flip bananas when browned on one side.

Frying Banana Fritters
  4. Serve with ice cream. The combination of hot and cold is too satisfying.

Banana Fritters in Coconut Batter

Looks pretty good right? You’d want to eat it right? I’d say it came out pretty well.

But before you think I have some hidden cooking talent because all my food always seems to turn out well, let me tell you of the bunch of bananas I fried, only six pieces turned out like this.

And the rest?

Well, I’m embarassed to show you this, but I did promise the good, the bad and the ugly.

Gloopy Slimey Banana Fritters

Where is help when you need it? I don’t know what happened. Either the oil was not hot enough or I was too impatient and just flung them about a bit too much.

I see you’re looking appalled. These look so unappetizing. And I could come up with many detailed descriptions as to what I think they look like.

But I think I’ll spare you the thought *grin*.

January 11, 2011

LOL~ oh my sharon! you definitely need more oil to get the crispy golden crust you wanted! but i must say they still look pretty good!

January 12, 2011

I didn’t want to use a lot of oil, partly because I didn’t want the hassle of cleaning a greased-up kitchen and partly because I didn’t want to deep fry. So it was a compromise, but the first batch definitely didn’t turn out well at all!

Anncoo

January 11, 2011

I don’t mind to eat those ugly ones as long as they still tastes delicious.

January 12, 2011

It tasted about the same but the banana ended up being really mushy with the ugly ones and I didn’t like that too much. Oh well, haha.

Natasha

January 11, 2011

Keep up the great work! I’ve had plenty setbacks back when I was learning to cook. But you just have to keep at it :)

January 12, 2011

Thanks Natasha, I appreciate the encouragement! :)

January 11, 2011

Your banana fritters look delish! I love banana, but Hegui, not so much. I wonder if you could serve them flambe’ sort of like Bananas Foster? That would be very exciting for a dinner party.

January 12, 2011

I had never heard of Bananas Foster till you mentioned it! I googled it and it looks fantastic. I’d definitely want to try making that. Plus it sounds so delicious!

Laura Flowers

January 11, 2011

I haven’t had banana fritters in years! I’m drooling.

Laura

January 11, 2011

Your last two pictures aren’t loading on my phone. I’ll be back on my laptop later to try.

January 12, 2011

I hope it’s not something wrong with the site. I’ve been told it loads slow at times. Might be a good thing not to see that last photo though lol ;)

January 12, 2011

This looks really incredible! I’ve had sauteed bananas but never battered bananas before…I’ve got to try it! Love the addition of coconut too!

January 12, 2011

Thanks! I thought the coconut sounded interesting too and it definitely adds a flavourful punch :)

Quay Po Cooks

January 12, 2011

Banana fritters seem easy to make but to be able to come up with crispy and not oily ones are not that easy. Yours looks pretty good tho. If you want the recipe for banana foster, I have posted that recipe on my blog. Here is the link:http://quaypocooks.blogspot.com/2010/10/banana-foster-original-recipe-from-chef.html

January 12, 2011

It would’ve been crispier if I had deep-fried it, but I didn’t want the hassle of cleaning the kitchen so I pan-fried it instead lol. Also healthier in a way. Banana foster looks good! Will have to try it at some point!

Juliana

January 12, 2011

Like you do not like ripe bananas…and this sure sounds and looks good. Love the idea of glutinous rice flour and coconut…yummie!

January 12, 2011

Except for the last picture right? Haha. Thanks! :)

January 12, 2011

oh Sharon, you have me at banana fritters..they are just fingerlicking!

January 13, 2011

I love them too haha ;)

January 14, 2011

hi sharon, bet the fritters are yummy and aromatic too, those looked pretty good. Looking at the bad ones, i was thinking maybe you should have deep fried them instead but then i realised that you have actually omitted the 60gm dessicated coconut which is actually quite a lot in ratio to the amount of flour that you used, it it like 1:1 or probably the dessicated coconut are even more here, it could be a whole different texture that affects the frying…not too sure though..we will learn as we go along. Cheers!

January 14, 2011

Ohhh! Thanks Lena that’s such a good point! I didn’t think omitted the dessicated coconut would affect the batter but I can see now that it probably would! The texture would’ve come out completely different then. Thanks so much for the tip! I’ll have to try this again properly. And yes, we definitely do learn as we go along! What’s great is having people who are much smarter than me to guide me along the way! :D

January 14, 2011

hi sharon, i’m not a smart but i’m just guessing. I like bananas ..maybe i should also try this one day then we probably know what went wrong..hugs!

January 14, 2011

I think you guessed right though! You’re a Master Chef compared to me ;). Let me know if you try it because I bet yours would come out loads better! Hugs!

January 15, 2011

oh that looks so yum…LOVE!

January 16, 2011