Misadventures, Travel

Asian Massage Places

I love massages. Nothing feels better than relaxing for an hour while someone kneads all the knots and tension out of your body. Simply glorious. I find that Asian massages are the best, because they get right deep into your muscles. It’s slightly uncomfortable but you come out feeling like every bit of tension has melted away, especially in the neck and shoulders. And you feel like a brand new woman!

Although I love Asian massages, it is well-known you have to be careful where you go because some places are notorious for being, let’s say, rather dodgy. Luckily, we had a friend, Miss Mango Bun, who took us to a good place somewhere in Tsim Sha Tsui.

We approached an old run-down looking building and deserted stairwell. Talk about dodgy – this looked seriously dodgy. Being young and mindless, we were curiously excited to check it out. On our way up to the massage place, we saw this sign.

Massage Sign

Well this is…rather…comforting. My camera actually fogged up. Literally. Hence the blurry image. In my mind I was thinking “Only in Asia…”

But whaddya know, we went inside and it looked simply classy and cosy. I was so pleasantly surprised I completely forgot to take photos of the interior. Don’t you hate it when that happens? But take my word for it, good massage at a reasonable price in Hong Kong, Zen Spa on Hankow Road is the place to be. Simply glorious.

I decided to be a tour guide the next time and took another friend there, a Miss Custard Bun (Is it terrible I give my friends food names?). She seriously doubted my judgment as we approached – it was written all over her face. But she loved it in the end. We both had full body massages, and it was heavenly. Then the masseurs left us to change back into our clothes.

And the unthinkable happened.

By sheer stupidity, we managed to lock ourselves in the room. And we couldn’t get out! I panicked. This place was dodgy after all! Again, by sheer stupidity, we didn’t know how to unlock the door even though we were on the inside! (in my defense, even if it’s not a good one, it was a complicated door!). The masseurs were shouting instructions to us, we were shouting back asking what they meant. Didn’t do much good, we couldn’t understand Cantonese, and I doubt they could understand my abysmal Mandarin-mixed-with-English. Finally they took the boss’s key to open the door for us. It was such a hoohah. We stepped out into the hall (which had been empty but was now full of customers), looking rather embarassed.

I think I’ll just go back and lock myself in the room again. And this time, I’ll just stay there.

January 2, 2011

Omg, too funny! That always seems to happen though, ust when you think everything is going perfect, something goes horribly wrong. Glad you were able to get out without having to do damage to the door and pay for it. Sorry that it was damaging to your ego though. It’s incidents like those that you one day look back and laugh at, which it looks like you did.

January 3, 2011

It was most embarassing to have a whole roomful of people witnessing the entire humiliating situation lol. But it’s definitely funny to look back on haha.

January 2, 2011

Haha, that’s quite funny. Yeah, massage and facial treatments are great in Asia.

January 3, 2011

Definitely is :). So are haircuts because you always get a free massage out of it lol.

Cheah

January 2, 2011

Talking about being locked up in a room in an unfamiliar environment …. I forgot that I had to use the security gadget first before I could press the no. in the lift in my girl’s apartment. I panicked but I didn’t raise the alarm, so I stepped out of the lift and waited for a good samaritan to come along hoping that he/she will go up to the same floor. Found one but she’s a Chinese national and she instructed me in not so clear English and as she was in a hurry, I just stepped out again. Then a young chap came along and he explained and assisted me, so kind of him ….. he’s from Kuching, East M’sia and I was so grateful. Phew, that was close!

January 3, 2011

LOL that’s hilarious! So nice that someone stopped to help you. I bet your daughter found it so funny when you told her. These things have a way of happening don’t they? :D

January 3, 2011

haha this is so funny! what an experience you got there! but these experiences are the ones that make each and every trip memorable!

January 3, 2011

Oh definitely, I’m not likely to forget this anytime soon lol :)

gwen

January 3, 2011

i would be mortified if that happened to me! i would love to visit hk and get a good proper massage. minus getting locked in ;)

January 3, 2011

Oh you’ll definitely love the massage. Just don’t lock the door haha.

January 3, 2011

I’m always really out of it after massage so I’m not at all surprised that you got locked in and had trouble working the complex lock. I think that is pretty normal. The service should have included excorting you out of the massage chamber if you ask me. I think that sign “No Sex Service” is funny. Does it say the same in Chinese above the English? I’ve never seen signs like that at massage places in San Francisco.

Did the trauma of the lock ruin the therapuetic benefit of the massage?

January 3, 2011

Oh definitely, they should’ve told us not to lock the door. We had a full body massage so they left us to get changed. I can’t read Chinese (shameful I know, considering I’m Chinese) but I presume it’s the same meaning lol. I was quite surprised to see the sign too even though I reckon it’s quite common in Asia. And no, the lock incident didn’t ruin anything because we went back again :D.

Thanks for dropping by :). I love finding out about new blogs and different places and I really enjoyed reading your stuff.

January 4, 2011

Haha. That massage sign is epic!

January 4, 2011

I know, I wondered what I was getting myself into lol.

MangoBun

February 8, 2011

Oh Sharon! =)
    I got locked in the bathroom in an empty room (!) on a cruiseship (!!)

I tried to kick the door down.. and after about 15 mins managed to get it open..

Moral of the story: Don’t lock doors.x

February 8, 2011

LOL. That is a very very good moral. One I really must pay attention to haha ;). x

JoyceT

February 16, 2011

I love my new name…lol! i’m just laughing alone here reading n thinking back… there’s always something silly n funny happen to us…n yeah! lets go massage again! =D

February 16, 2011

LOL even if it’s a food name? Haha. Everytime I think about that I laugh to myself too. It was so embarassing lol. Something always happens when we’re both around haha. And massage again sounds fun! :)

Miss Custard Bun

February 17, 2011

LoL! Yeah…I will still love it… ya..very malu… haha…

February 17, 2011

Definitely very memalukan haha. Not bad…still remember my BM lol.