Misadventures

A Tale of Train Travels

I do quite a bit of travelling, whether it is to visit friends or attend courses. And quite often, I have to take the train. It goes without saying that no matter how old you get or how independent you are, parents never cease worrying about you. They’ll always see it as their little 5 year-old taking the train by herself, dragging a humongous suitcase that is twice her size and impossible to lift (I’m a girl, what can I say?). To ease their worries, I always try to take an early train so I arrive at my destination in the daytime when it is still bright. But one day I had no choice but to take a later train that would arrive at night.

As usual, my parents had plenty to say.

Now make sure you keep very warm, wear many layers, don’t forget your thermals, boots, scarf, gloves and hat. (Would there be a chance I’d suffer from heatstroke in the winter?) Bring some food and water in case you get hungry on the train. (She knows her daughter eats constantly.) Make sure you pack enough clothes and don’t forget to buy good thermal socks, they’ll keep you warm. (The obsession with thermals!) Might want to buy some ear muffs too. (Bless her, she’s even worried about my ears!) Be careful and very observant because you’re arriving so late and it’s dark. (Yes, yes.) And make sure you bring a flashlight with you so you can see where you’re going. (Mom, really. A flashlight?)

Dad had a few things to say himself.

Make sure you haven’t forgotten to pack anything. (I probably have, but let’s hope it’s not important.) Do you have your tickets? (Oh wait, where are they?) Make sure you have your phone and it’s not on silent. (I know, I know – tracking device in disguise.) Remember to text when you get on the train, when the train leaves the station, when it arrives at the other end and when you get into your accomodation. (It’s almost as if I would get lost somewhere in between my journey. Clearly, he has no faith in my sense of direction.)

Parents.

Just as I was about to rush off, dad hands me a surprise. Here’s some packed food to eat on the train, it’s your favourite – duck! So sweet, I love you. I finally got on the train, which was full and I didn’t have much space in front of me. But who cares, I wanted to dive into my food!

Packed Food

YUM. Though it looks quite a lot for a packet of duck rice. I dig in anyway.

Aromatic Duck Wraps

Waaaait a minute. This is not duck rice, it’s aromatic duck wraps! When dad said ‘duck’ I thought it was an easy-to-eat pack of duck rice. No wonder he said it was my favourite because I love duck wraps. But how was I going to eat it without any space in front of me? The people who packed it had also kindly forgotten to give me a spoon, fork or chopsticks. Great.

I sat there for the entire journey, the smell of aromatic duck just taunting me until I started to feel incredibly hungry. I was slightly agitated. Why, why couldn’t it just have been a pack of whatever rice (that I could easily eat!)?

Because parents always want the best for their kids. And sometimes, they just love you too much. It’s why they pack your favourite food instead of something mediocre and tell you to take a flashlight with you. And though you will never understand what goes through a parent’s mind (until you become a parent yourself), and even though sometimes they succeed in driving you crazy without even trying, it’s why I want to keep them with me forever. In the words of the lovely Jenn Besonia, this is why I would “never swap my parents for two goldfish.” Sometimes we just have to see the humour in their ways, just like they see the humour in ours. After all, having seen the kids my parents had to put up with, they certainly deserve an award – I’m talking more about my sister here *look of innocence (followed by a cheeky grin)*.

I did get to enjoy my duck wraps later though.

Enjoying Food

See why it would be impossible to eat on the train?

Duck Wrap

Delicious. Definitely beats my own cooking.

And it turns out, the weather became a lot worse so mom was right about the thermals after all. The flashlight? Not so much.

Parents.

How can we not love them?

January 3, 2011

haha that’s parents for you and your dad is so sweet!

January 3, 2011

I know right lol. And ya my dad is cute like that haha.

January 3, 2011

LOL…totally hilarious to hear how you described about me and dad to the world!!! Now I wonder what’s next! I’m sure it builds up a lot of patience in you and makes you a good listener, even if it is only a pretend one….haha. Well, I do believe in consistent repetition…..sounds nagging huh :P. But it reinforces good memory and helps in application :D One day…one fine day…..you will do likewise…haha. Love you to bits. Mom

January 3, 2011

I love you to tinier bits, but honestly sometimes the things you say is beyond funny lol.

January 5, 2011

TOO SWEET! melts a mom’s heart.

you’re right, i don’t have thermals stocked up but yesterday i did go out and buy my son a pair of ski pants for next year already….lol (they were on sale, someday you will understand haha)

January 3, 2011

Lol Sharon! I loved reading this post for two reasons:
    1. Because I’m now a parent and it’s too funny to see it from a daughter’s side, and
    2. Because I’ve had the pleasure of “meeting” and conversing with you and your Mom and you two are the cutest mother daughter couple I’ve met.

Parents really do worry about everything thing to do with their kids. Yes, even their ears ;-). With that said, should I start stocking up on thermals now (they’re only 2 and 4 yes old)? Lol.

PS
    Now I am starving after your two delicious posts! And I LOVE duck wraps!

January 3, 2011

Come now, I’m sure you already have thermals stored away for them ;) lol. We definitely get along well, though we do have our moments – like when she tells me to pack a flashlight in my handbag and I flatly refuse haha.

January 3, 2011

Oops, sorry. Yes = yrs (stupid autocorrect)

Biren @ Roti n Rice

January 3, 2011

That’s a sweet post! I wonder what my teenage boys think about me. One just started driving and I probably told him a lot of “silly” stuff to watch out for too.

Anyway, that duck wrap sure looks good. I am quite sure you would have found a way to eat it on the train if there were utensils packed in ;)

January 4, 2011

Probably similar things ;) haha. I bet you had a lot to say if they’re just starting driving. When I first started, the one phrase on constant repeat was “Drive SLOWLY!” I should’ve listened, because I failed my first test for going too fast around a bend lol.

January 4, 2011

Yay! I’m glad you also love your parents. :)

January 4, 2011

When I read your post, I imagined myself trading my parents for two goldfish. Of course I’d never do that but it just made me laugh lol.

January 9, 2011

That’s actually from the title of the book of Neil Gaiman. “The Day I swapped my dad for two gold fish”. I haven’t read it yet but the title itself is awesome.

January 9, 2011

Oh thanks for letting me know, I had no idea! The title is certainly awesome and just says it all doesn’t it?

January 4, 2011

Sharon

Your parents sound very nice. Though are you really only twelve years old? Just kidding!

The duck wrap thing does have the potential to be very messy, but extremely fun. Did you share with the other train passengers? Then you could probably have eaten right there like a picnic.

January 4, 2011

Hi Stevie,
      It would seem that way wouldn’t it? Lol. It can get on my nerves sometimes but we’re very close-knit so you know, whatever makes them happy :).

And, I never share food (unless I have to) :P haha.

shaz

January 6, 2011

Hi Sharon (my name’s Sharon too). I popped over from your mum’s blog and this is one of the sweetest posts I’ve read. My mother drives me nuts sometimes, but now that I’m a mum, I’m sure I doing the same to my own daughters! It’s wonderful to see the bond between the two of you and to see the shared love of food. Will try and come back more often :)

Cheers from Australia

January 6, 2011

Hi Shaz! Thanks for popping by :). It must be a mom thing ;). You’ve got a great blog, will be going back to check it out!