Uncategorized

A Manolo Blahnik Inspiration

High Street vs. Designer. Which do you tend to go for? Maybe a bit of both?

I am very much a High Street person and completely agree with Gok Wan, who is a British fashion consultant who hosts the TV shows ‘How To Look Good Naked’, ‘Gok’s Fashion Fix’ and now ‘Gok’s Clothes Roadshow’. I love this guy and actually bumped into him once when I was out one night in London! He shows women how to dress well and boosts their confidence and self-esteem. His glam-ed up high street outfits often rival its designer counterpart on his Fashion Fix Runway. So I am very much in the line of thought that if you know what clothes to buy and how to put them together (which I sometimes have problems with), you can look tres chic without burning holes in your pockets.

That said, I would be inclined to part with my hard-earned cash for designer wear IF (and only if) I think there’s something special about it that can’t be replicated on the high street. Sometimes I see a plain cardigan that costs almost £300 when I can find a similar one in Zara and you think “Why spend that money!”. So I don’t look for brand names – I look for the artistry and creativity that defines the designer. It is only for that reason I would admire any one of them.

One designer that I absolutely love for his designs is Manolo Blahnik. Walking into his store is like I died, came back to life, fell head over Heels, died again, and went to Shoe Heaven. His shoes are INCREDIBLE. I came across a couple books of his sketches in a bookstore the other day and I was in awe – the origin of his great shoes!

His sketches and drawings were amazing. Creative, artistic, beautiful – GENIUS!

Manolo Blahnik Sketch

Manolo Blahnik Sketch
Manolo Blahnik Sketches
Manolo Blahnik Sketches

You’ll definitely NEVER find such designs on the high street. What is inspiring is that he used to be a nobody. Until an editor at a fashion magazine noticed his talent and he became a somebody.

What struck me was how he would’ve been looked down upon when he first started out. How difficult it must have been to make his mark designing shoes. But having the support of people around him, he’s now one of the most famous shoe designers in the world. Being Asian, I’m in a culture where most parents exceedingly encourage their children towards scholarly achievements, which is of course important. But sometimes, their inherent gifts and abilities may be overlooked. A kid telling his parents that he wanted to design shoes for a living would be given a smack on their head and told to forget such ridiculous nonsense. So I was, in fact, quite surprised when I learned that Jimmy Choo is Malaysian! If anything would encourage patriotism for my country, THIS WOULD BE IT.

Manolo Blahnik Shoe

My point is, whatever talents you have, whatever skills you’ve learned, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant such as drawing pictures of shoes, keep doing it. Put them together, mix them around, practice all you can and you never know what might happen. You may not get results today, you may not get results tomorrow or even years down the line, but you are building something that will enrich your life in one way or another. Love working with children? Keep working with them! Who knows, you might be the next Super Nanny (you’ve seen her TV show right?)!  At the very least, you know you’ll make a fantastic mom to your own kids. Love encouraging people? You may not get much in return but who knows, you might be a great motivational speaker one day! At the very least, you know you brought some comfort and made a positive difference in someone’s life. Love playing with Lego? An architect in the making!

People may look down on you or on what you do (and there will always be such people) because they don’t SEE the potential. Why should you let that stop you? Even if you’re on the road less taken, walk it anyway if it will get you to where you want to be. Stay focused, hold your head high, keep the chin up, and strut your stuff.

And make sure to wear your “Manolo Blahnik” shoes with pride while you’re at it!

RELATED POSTS YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:

Zara Blue Ruffle Top
Masquerade Mask
Young Love, Old Love

Esther

January 31, 2011

I love your outlook on life. You are a very encouraging person and I bet you change lots of peoples’ lives. In the 4th picture of Manolo Blahnik Sketches I love that blue and green shoe! I would totally get it and wear it if it wasn’t overly expensive.

January 31, 2011

Thank you for your encouragement Esther, it means a lot. I hope in my own little way I bring a smile to people’s lives :). I totally love those ones too! They’re definitely more wearable in day-to-day than the others lol. Though I did love the outrageous ones as well haha.

Elin

January 31, 2011

Sahron, you are young and full of vibrant. Is Mary like you or you are like her :p I can never wear that pair of shoes though it will look sexy on it LOL! I can’t walk in those heels anymore, have to turn back the clock!

Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and family,
    Elin

January 31, 2011

Thanks Elin! I don’t know, I probably caught it from her! Haha. Oh I have to practice walking in heels too. I’m more a flat shoe type of girl ;)

Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family as well! Hope you have a most festive celebration with lots of great food!

January 31, 2011

my dear, i’ve always known that your Mom is a wise woman the first time i read her blog, but yours and your Mom’s wisdom has really shone through in your words here. i hope that someday my children will be as wise as you are at such a young age.

that shoe in your last picture is beautiful! i don’t know if i would be able to wear such high heels anymore. i used to “choose beauty over life” (a Chinese saying), but not anymore. i’m all about comfort now. plus, i’d rather spend my money on my children than myself now.

you have a great outlook on life, don’t ever change that about yourself. you’re wise beyond your years, Sharon.

January 31, 2011

LeQuan sweetie, you’re making me blush *sheepish grin* – I have never thought of myself as wise :D. Your comment really means a lot to me and something I’ll keep close to heart as a reminder when life knocks me around. I truly mean it.

I love it too, if only I could buy it! Haha. I never knew there was such a saying! But I definitely do love my comfortable shoes, I’m sad to admit I don’t last long in heels lol. My mom is just the same. When I have kids one day, I’ll be doing the exact same thing! I can just see their closets becoming bigger than mine haha.

January 31, 2011

Love all the drawings of shoes. The books are very inspirational. I think I should buy a pair of such shoes, at least similar ones, so that I will be taller than you….haha. Dear, you have written a very encouraging and inspirational post. Well Done!!! Keep it up. The future is yours to grab. HUGS. Mom

January 31, 2011

Thanks mom :). Oh that again. The only reason you ever want to wear heels is just so you can be taller! Lol. HUGS.

Squeeze The Pug

January 31, 2011

Hi Sharon. Lovely post. I am also into the origin of designers and the history behind their creations. I think I’m torn between high street and designer good though.

Unfortunately these days, Manolo Blahnik & Jimmy Choo are increasingly getting overshadow by Christian Louboutin.

January 31, 2011

Thanks doll :). Louboutin is brilliant too, though whether he is overshadowing is a matter of opinion isn’t it? ;)

Squeeze The Pug

January 31, 2011

Probably. It just seems that these days, more and more people (including celebrities on the red carpet) are into CL.

Don’t get me wrong, I love all three shoes. Manolo Blahnik has been around for more than 30 years (unlike Cl who is a relatively new comer) and was once THE IT SHOE that every women want to have in their closet.

They (CL and MB) were at par when compared head-to-head in 2007 but now CL runs slightly higher.

Regardless, all these 3 designer continue to come up with beautiful creation every season.

January 31, 2011

Oh darlin, you know I ain’t a fashionista and tend to have a mind of my own (which can be slightly odd sometimes!). Plus, I think it’s more about what you like than what everyone else is buying ;). Thanks for taking the time to explain doll, I’m sure others would be interested to know too!

My aim was not to write about designers but to encourage people to keep at what they like doing, on the path they’re taking, in shoes that they love. I just thought it was a good way of introducing it. Hence the quotation marks around “Manolo Blahnik” in the last sentence. I should probably work on my writing skills eh? Lol.

• Squeeze The Pug

January 31, 2011

*giggles* Your writing skill is perfect and I absolutely enjoy reading every single one of your blog entries. I just got a little carried away with the designer shoes subject- The mention of Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choo sent me into a hyperexictable state! =P

• Sharon Moh

February 1, 2011

Miss Chic Chick, this is your area of experties! If you weren’t excited I might just have to give you a stimulant ;). Besides, I always value your tips and advice when it comes to style and fashion :).

Danny

January 31, 2011

You have a nice writing style that engages the reader, and very inspiring. keep it up.

January 31, 2011

Thanks for dropping by Danny. I’m glad you enjoyed my writing :)

January 31, 2011

wow I would love to own a few of them….they are so stylish.

So would I Angie, so would I lol

February 1, 2011

i definately believe that you are someone who doesnt give up easily or probably never give up! what you’re writing is simply inspiring.

Those shoes look stunning, Are you eyeing on the last pair?

February 2, 2011

Thank you so much for that encouragement, Lena :).

Always eyeing all his shoes, then have major problems trying to walk in them lol.

February 6, 2011

of course if you are the type that dont wear high heels regularly, you will find it difficult to walk with them. You will need some time to really get used to them if you really want to wear them, from those pictures, i guess most of them are at least 4″ high. I cant picture yourself wearing those high heels but i have no doubt that it will look good on you..in fact i think high heels make a woman look elegant in some ways..

February 6, 2011

Lena, you are so right. I used to wear them regularly but now that I don’t, it definitely feels more difficult. A friend used to say high heels make a woman look sexier because it makes the bum and chest stick out more haha!