Photography

Winter Showcase

It’s still freezing cold here that talking about more snow is the last thing you want to do. Until you see some pretty amazing photos that make you think “Gasp, wowww”. So I am showcasing yet another person’s work that I’m rather jealous of. His name is Ta-Wing Poon and all the photos shown here are his.

Now I am a huge Canon lover. In fact, all the cameras I have ever owned (both film and digital) are made by Canon. Ta-Wing here uses the Nikon D90. This makes us sworn enemies and we will never get along. But in the interest of art and photography, I shall put our differences aside. For now.

First up, we’ll start with some seemingly lost and wandering sheep.

Sheep

Then a gorgeous river dotted with ice.

Icy River

Now for my favourite. Killer icicles. I like the composition in this one.

Killer Icicles

And finally, the photographer himself. The photo is taken by Hao Chen, whom I have previously showcased.

Taekwondo Kick

That is one mighty high Taekwondo kick. I think I’m going to keep all comments about Nikon to myself now.

Now for the Photographer’s Snippet. A chance to delve into how their mind works in creating great photos.

“I care too much about the technical details such as the exposure, ISO and shutter speed. After I have these settings in place, I think about the composition. As much as possible, I follow the Rule of Thirds. I took up photography almost two years ago because I wanted to be able to use a DSLR well to photograph my kids when they are born. And of course, I think the Nikon D90 is a great camera.” ~Ta-Wing Poon

If you just read that and thought ‘Whaaaaat?’, don’t worry you’re not the only one. All the talk about apertures, ISO, shutter speed etc. may be mind-blowing at first but it’s not as complicated as it sounds. I will hopefully write about that some other time. Though it does make sense to get the technical side out of the way to then focus on the creative.

But for now, I leave you with this wonderful winter showcase by Ta-Wing Poon.

Ta-Wing

December 14, 2010

sworn enemies eh! so when you were playing with my camera on sunday night there, I hope you were secretly killing it : )

December 14, 2010

And risk receiving a taekwondo kick? I don’t think so haha.

December 14, 2010

Excellent photos of winter. The power of the nature. Taekwondo Kick of Hao Chen is really cool.
    Thanks, Sharon, for your kind words left on my blog.
    Get some hot chocolate and stay warm!
    Angie

December 14, 2010

Hi Angie,
      Thanks for dropping by :). I should’ve probably written it clearer, it’s actually Ta-Wing’s kick and Hao Chen took the photo. You’ve got a great blog, I’ve already subscribed to it.

December 14, 2010

Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos, Sharon. Too funny about Nikon vs Canon. Hubby just recently got me a canon and I’m still learning to use it. Would love to read your post on camera “stuff”. See, I don’t even know the proper term haha.

December 14, 2010

Yay a Canon! Is it one of those big cameras with the zoom lens? Gosh I can’t wait to see all the photos you take with it :D. I’ll be sure to write about camera “stuff” now. I’m sure you’re having fun shooting away with your new camera. Because if I had such gorgeous and adorable kids like yours, I wouldn’t stop snapping!

Jane

December 16, 2010

Hi there this post is very interesting. Beautiful photos :).

December 16, 2010

Thanks Jane, glad you liked it :)

December 16, 2010

Yup one of those big ones that I have no idea how to use all the different settings. So auto focus it is for now ;-)