Food

Swiss Roll Bombe

Here goes another post in Apron Wisdom, where I learn to cook from others much better than me. I saw a post that I really really liked by Jess at j3sskitch3n.blogspot.com. It was her Swiss Roll Bombe. I craved it so much I kept going back to that post, just to look at it. Here’s her photo that I pinched off her site. This is what it’s supposed to look like. Does that look scrumptious or what?

Swiss Roll Bombe by Jess

Swiss rolls encasing Haagen Daaz Mango & Passionfruit and Chocolate Midnight Cookies ice cream. How could anyone NOT love this? After another million times of staring at this photo, I decided enough was enough. My cravings were taking over me and I have to make this now.

I pretty much followed her recipe almost exactly. I’m terrible when it comes to following instructions.

Ingredients (I doubled the ingredients to make more cake)

3 eggs
110g castor sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp sifted plain flour
1 tbsp boiling water
Strawberry jam for spreading
Ice cream

Method

1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
  2. Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract with an electric beater. Jess says to beat it until it gets to the “ribbon stage”. I couldn’t tell if it was.

Beaten Egg, Sugar and Vanilla Extract
  3. Then fold in the sifted flour and boiling water.

Folding in Flour and Water
  4. Place greaseproof paper in a pan and spread batter evenly.

Batter in Baking Tray
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until centre is springy to touch.
  6. Once baked, turn the cake out onto towel and roll it up with the towel going in. Leave to cool on a rack with seam side down. I turned the cake out onto a piece of greaseproof paper instead. I’m not sure if that was very wise.

Rolled Up Cake
  7. Unroll the cooled cake, spread the filling and roll it up again. So far so good.

Spreading Filling and Rolling Swiss Roll
  8. Cut the roll into pieces of equal thickness.

My Swiss Roll

And this was as far as I got. I mean seriously. Something went hideously hideously wrong somewhere. This is unlike any Swiss Roll I have ever seen. It is not fluffy, it does not look good, and why was there a thick clump of goo at the bottom?! I was sure it was cooked alright, because if I left it in any longer it would’ve gone solid.

This had nothing to do with the recipe, by the way. I completely blame it on my method because I have never in my life been able to fold anything in when it comes to making batter. I suggest you head over to Jess’s blog to learn how to do it right.

So much for satisfying my cravings. Next time, I shall just buy some Swiss rolls and fill it with ice cream.

December 18, 2010

Aww, sorry your roll didn’t turn out, dear. I admire your efforts for trying though. That really does look and sound absolutely delicious. I’ve had my shares of baking let downs in the kitchen. Don’t give up though, keep at it. You’re only defeated if you let yourself be defeated, and I can see you’re not one to do that ;-). Trudge on, my friend.

December 19, 2010

Thanks Lequan :D. I’m actually gonna make your beef salad next. The one that comes with the yummy looking dip that shouldn’t have a layer of oil on it haha. Will let you know when I’ve tried it. Hopefully I do it justice because it looks so delicious! I wanted to try the bun rieu, but I thought I should start with something slightly simpler! ;)

December 19, 2010

oh sharon! sorry i wasn’t able to pop by earlier! your batter isn’t at ribbon stage yet! that’s y you couldn’t achieve the fluffy swiss roll you wanted.

a ribbon stage batter is one when you draw a figure 8 using the beater it will stay visible for awhile and does not sink right back into the batter another way is when you pull up you beater and drops of the batter drop from the beater into the batter it will also stay visible for awhile instead of sinking back into the batter immediately.. i’m sorry i should state it in that post! i believe you will be successful in your next attempt my dear! you have the qualities that your mom has! remember to use an electric batter ok!

December 19, 2010

Oh THAT’S why. No no, it’s my fault for not knowing what ribbon stage meant because I’m so clueless! I read the part where you mentioned the batter will be visible for 10 seconds or something like that but I didn’t realize that’s what it meant. I thought the batter will be runny for 10 seconds haha. I will beat it for longer next time, and hopefully it’ll be more successful! And yes, I managed to figure out eventually that I needed to use an electric beater and not hand whisk the batter lol. It was fun though, and I learned something new! Thanks for the tip!

grace-b

December 19, 2010

The swiss roll bombe by Jess looks delicious! Hopefully next time you’ll be able to make it too ;)

December 20, 2010

Thanks! Keeping fingers crossed ;)

December 19, 2010

The bomb looks lethally good…. p/s: I had chilli ramen at Wagamama yesterday and thought of the one that you made previously. Yours definitely looks better and most likely taste better too…

December 20, 2010

It really is, hope I can get it right next time. You’re soooo sweet, just for that I’ll have to make you my Wagamama Chilli Ramen one day haha ;)

Cheah

December 19, 2010

Yes, Sharon, your batter is not up to the ribbon stage yet. Jess’s tips are correct and you’ll definitely need an electric beater to help you achieve your goal. Never mind, practice makes perfect!

December 20, 2010

Thanks, that is exactly right! Hopefully I’ll do better next time :)

nasifriet

December 19, 2010

Hi Sharon,

I was smiling when I read your post. That makes the two of us. I had written a post abt my adventure with baking and making the swiss roll as one of the things…. it was a disaster

At least you could roll your swiss roll and jammed it up, but mine ??
    Read up my post to find out… :-)

December 20, 2010

Hiya! Thanks for dropping by and sharing your story! It made me laugh to know I’m not the only one who does these things haha. Let’s hope we both have better luck with swiss rolls next time :D

December 21, 2010

Great to hear about the beef salad, Sharon! It’s super simple. Hope you like it, dear!

December 22, 2010

I’ll let you know when I’ve made it :D. And I’m sure I’ll love it, it sounds and looks so yummy. Any food is better than my own, I daresay haha. Besides, if I keep going back and forth to it, something tells me it’s time to actually give a go at making it :)

December 22, 2010

oh that is precisely the reason (folding a bake product) why i never dared to try this cake. Good luck for next am sure u will be able to make it next time :)

December 23, 2010

The ‘folding’ part was the scary thing for me too. Have never been able to get it right!

Carrie

December 23, 2010

Very attractive dessert! Though it requires more effort in execution ;)

December 23, 2010

I couldn’t agree more :)

Simply Life

December 23, 2010

Oh my, that looks amazing!

December 23, 2010

If you mean Jess’s version, then yes I agree ;)

Kristi Rimkus

January 7, 2011

You did a better job on your Swiss Rolls than I would have! Baking and I usually don’t get along too well. I usually manage to mess something up. Don’t give up! It looks like an amazing dessert. :)

Kristi

January 7, 2011

Thanks Kristi :). It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who mess bakes up ;) Will definitely give this another go sometime. Thanks for dropping by! Love all the recipes you have on your blog too!