Food

Colman’s Chicken Casserole

I was craving a good casserole one day – partly because it sounded delicious, and partly because anything that can be cooked altogether in one pot is exactly my cuppa tea.

Problem. Absolutely NO idea how to make it.

Solution. Colman’s Chicken Casserole.

Colman's Chicken Casserole

Yes, I know. I have traded full and heavenly homemade flavours for cheap and easy instant casserole mix. I caved. I hear gasps circulating through the foodie world to the admission of this unforgiveable crime.

I am such a drama queen *grin*.

In any case, here are the instructions on the packet.

Colman's Chicken Casserole Instructions

One and a half hours in the oven?! *looks incredulous* And I thought this was supposed to be instant.

Did I follow the instructions? Obviously not, I never do.

Ingredients

Colman’s chicken casserole mix
4 diced skinless chicken thighs
2 diced carrots
2 diced red onions (I would prefer normal onions, but this was all I had)
Chopped garlic
Brocolli florets
Water (I didn’t measure this)
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

1. Prepare garlic, red onions and carrots in a pot. Brocolli to the side to add in later (don’t like it to be too soft).

Garlic, Carrots, Red Onions
  2. In a separate bowl, mix contents of the Colman’s Chicken Casserole sachet with water. I thought it didn’t look too bad.

Colman's Chicken Casserole Mix
  3. Place chicken in the pot with the garlic, onions and carrots and pour the sauce over. Yes I know, I need a bigger pot. But this was the biggest I had!

Cooking Casserole
  4. Put on the stove until fully cooked and carrots soften (unless you want to bake it for one and half hours). Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste. My pot was clearly too small to add in my brocolli so I cooked that separately.
  5. I served it with rice because I love rice.

Chicken Casserole and Rice

So I have to admit, doesn’t quite look like proper casserole. And definitely nothing like the photo on the packet! But it tasted okay – I wasn’t exactly expecting wonders when cooking from a sachet mix.

Didn’t quite satisfy my craving though, so I’ll have to learn to cook it properly.

At least I didn’t use a boil-in-a-bag casserole.

Nasifriet

December 31, 2010

At least you have used all the fresh ingredients! I’m sure it tasted good, but of course, nothing compared to a real home-made one, starting from scratch, right? I do that as well, if I want quick meals, and add fresh ingredients.

It’s NÝ’s eve, so I want to take this opportunity to wish you all the best in 2011. May all your dreams come true *wink* *wink* ;-)

January 1, 2011

Being used to eating my mom’s food for so long, I think the casserole fell below my standards haha. Definitely nothing compared to a real home-made one. But it wasn’t bad considering it was a mix. Wishing you a most fantastic 2011 too!! ;)

Heavenly Housewife

December 31, 2010

Hey for something that started out from a packet, that looks pretty awesome!
    Happy New Years daaaaaaahling! Wishing you a fab 2011.
    *kisses* HH

January 1, 2011

Thanks HH ;). Have a faaaaabulous New Years too!!! *hugs*

December 31, 2010

yummylicious now i and feeling hungry!!

happy new year sharon and have a wonderful year ahead!

January 1, 2011

Thanks Jess :). Have a most blessed and Happy New Year!!

Anncoo

December 31, 2010

Oh, I love to use instant mix once in a while. Looks delicious :)
    Happy New Year & All The Best in 2011 :)

January 1, 2011

Will have to make a real home-made version one day ;). All the best and prosperity for the New Year!! :D

William

December 31, 2010

Happy new year Sharon, wish you all the best in 2011.

January 1, 2011

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Have a most fantastic and blessed 2011!! :D

December 31, 2010

Nothing wrong with using instant mix, my friend. Sometimes we’re just too busy to make a meal from scratch, and that’s what instant meals are there for, no shame in using one. I’ll have to say, for instant, that looks pretty good. They always make the picture look so good, but mine never turn out anything like the pictures. Lol.

Wishing you and your lovely family a happy new year full of joy, good health, and great foodie adventures, Sharon!

January 1, 2011

Mindless advertising, to tempt us with amazing photos but in reality it would never turn out like that haha. It turned out alright but would definitely like to make the real thing one day.

A most happy and blessed New Year to you and your gorgeous family too!

sophie

August 5, 2015

Thanks a lot, your advice has really helped me create a quick and yummy dish x