Food

Chewy Chocolate Brownies

Apron Wisdom #4! And this only came about because I was craving cake (so what else is new?). One slight problem, well actually, a few. Where I was, I had no mixer, no electric beater, no measuring cups/spoons, not even a whisk. There was always the option of abandoning my baking mission, but this was a craving not to be ignored! So as always, phone call to mom for some kitchen SOS.

‘You can use my chewy brownies recipe from my blog.’

That’s it? From my source of sage advice? Not even going to talk me through it step-by-step?

Turns out, it was shockingly easy to make. I had to modify it because I didn’t have brown sugar, walnuts or vanilla extract. I also halved the ingredients because I knew I would eat it all. And when I use ‘cup measurements’, that’s me using a mug that looked roughly the size of a measuring cup. So definitely check out her original recipe at www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com.

I used Lindt chocolate for this. For no other reason than the fact that I love Lindt chocolate!

Lindt Chocolate

Ingredients

Part A:
175g butter
100g dark chocolate
100g milk chocolate
1/2 cup natural sugar

Part B:
2 large eggs
1/4 cup natural sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla (I didn’t have any so I didn’t add this but I’m sure it would taste much better if you did!)

Part C:
1/2 cup plain flour

Method

1. Put a pot of water to boil and a Pyrex bowl over the top (there’s a smart chef word for this but I don’t know what it is). Place Part A ingredients into the bowl and melt over the heat. Take off heat when fully melted.

Melting Part A Ingredients
  2. Beat Part B ingredients and mix into Part A mixture. It should become quite thick and gooey.
    Mixing Part A and Part B Ingredients

Thick and Gooey Mixture
  3. Finally, add the flour to the bowl and stir well.

Mixing Flour
  4. Pour batter into a tray lined with greaseproof paper. Bake at 160°C for 30 minutes. If you smell the glorious cake smell before this, chances are it’s almost done. So don’t overbake it.
  5. Take it out and let it cool. Cut into squares and serve.

Chewy Chocolate Brownies

Chewy and chocolatey. That’s the only way I like my brownies. And once again, mom’s recipe hasn’t let me down.

Does that look good, or does that look good? Satisfied my cravings? You betcha!

So when you find yourself stranded without your normal kitchen equipment, you can’t go wrong with this recipe! It’s almost far too simple.

December 29, 2010

Oh wow….your brownies look awesome…..much better than mine I think….definitely better photo….haha. Well Done! Must be the chocolate :P You should have just given me those chocolates to eat :D Lindt chocolate are just soooo good. But you can make this one for me, too…hehe

December 29, 2010

It looks really dense and chewy doesn’t it? :D Ok I think you need to write me a list of all the things you want me to make, seems endless! ;)

Ivy

December 29, 2010

I agree with your mom Sharon. Your brownies sound awesome. I also love Lindt chocolate.

December 29, 2010

Thanks Ivy :). Lindt is definitely one of the best chocolates!

December 29, 2010

Kudos to you Shaton for satisfying your craving even though you had next to nothing to work with, now that’s improvising! I’m the total opposite. If I see one or two ingredients that I don’t recognize on a recipe, I run the other way. You’re much more daring than me.

Your brownies DO look chewy and delicious too. Job well done, I’d say. I’m a fan of heavy, dense cakes and brownies so I’m loving yours. Totally agree that Lindt chocolates are sooo yummy :-P More power to you, my friend!

December 30, 2010

Thanks! Simply doing my stomach’s bidding haha. I was pleasantly surprised it turned out well despite far-from-exact measurements :D

December 30, 2010

Sharon you are able to do this without measuring utensils on hand! bravo! i wouldn’t have dare to attempt that haha! the brownies really looks chewy and dense must be very delicious!

P.S. i know i promised you a step by step swiss roll tutorial but i haven been able to find the time to do it give me a little while willya? =(

December 30, 2010

Hey Jess! No worries at all, take your time! I’ll still be keeping an eye out for that tutorial, while enjoying the good music from your blog ;).

December 30, 2010

I AM Drooling….

December 30, 2010

Haha, glad you like! :D

Stella

December 30, 2010

I was craving brownies too the other day, and made a tray. But I didn’t think they were chocolately enough (you can never have enough chocolate), so I added extra chocolate and pressed into refrigerator brownies *yum*

December 30, 2010

Extra chocolate is always a good bet ;). What do you mean by ‘pressing into refrigerator brownies’? Like press melted chocolate in between it? I’m sure other smart people reading this will think I’m such an idiot for not understanding lol.

January 4, 2011

Oh that looks heavenly yum :)

January 4, 2011