Travel

A Mango Love Affair

I love mangoes and all things mango-flavoured – mango juice, mango cake, mango candy, mango ice cream, mango jello, mango macaroons – well, you get the idea. One time I even ate 30 mangoes in one week! By the end of it I thought I was turning into a Giant Mango. So of course when I was taken to a shop in Hong Kong dedicated to mango desserts and all things mango, there was no stopping me from indulging myself. The one I went to is called Hui Lau Shan and you can find them all over the city. It was mango heaven. Mango pieces in a mango-ey syrup with mango ice cream and glutinous rice balls. What more could a mango junkie ask for?!

Mango Dessert

They also had really gorgeous peach pudding with an oozing sweet yoghurty thing.

Peach Pudding

When talking about mango, one is not a true mango lover if one does not talk about mango from the Phillippines. I can’t wait to visit that country to try their fresh mango. As yet, I’ve only had their dried mango from friends who made a trip there. They don’t bother with souvenirs anymore, food will do. I was delighted to find some packs of Phillippines mango the other day. Aside from the fact they are outrageously pocket-burningly expensive here, they were so delicious I practically inhaled them. Western dried mango is nothing but a tasteless, shrivelled up, tough-to-chew piece of leather.

Phillippines Mango

Then of course, there is a favourite mango story.

I was going through the most stressful few weeks, struggling to finish what was my non-thesis. I’m so glad I’ve left writing research and literature reviews behind me, for now at least. I was buried in what felt like a tsunami of papers, typing frantically away at my computer while killing whole forrests in the process. For weeks, my family had to put up with a little grouchy brat who could not even crack a smile. Then this came…

Mango Hearts

I felt so loved. Then I also felt very sorry for being so unlovable. It took two mangoes and two hours to cut out all those heart shapes.

Just doing my part to spread a little mango love =).

What’s this? Never tried mango? Get your butt over here right this instant, I’ll have to sort you out.

December 21, 2010

oh i love the 2nd mango dessert with the yogurt flowing out! i love mangoes too! but i don’t like the dried ones that you adore i will gladly sent some over to you there are abundance of them here in singapore! your family really loves you alot to make those heart shape mangoes just for you!

December 22, 2010

It was more peachy than mango, and ya was totally delicious would love to make it if I knew how. You don’t like the dried ones? They make such a great snack, I could finish 10 packs in one sitting I reckon haha. Singapore is like one of the awesomest places in the world. Can’t wait to visit again!

sauravluk9

December 21, 2010

I just love Mangoes..

December 22, 2010

Hehe, me too :)

December 21, 2010

Omg! I love those heart shaped mangoes. That was so super sweet of your family. It really shows how well they know you and love you. Knowing Mary, she must’ve also found something cool to do with the leftover pieces too ;-)

Those desserts look absolutely delicious. Hubby’s family is from HK. I must try this place next time I am there!

December 22, 2010

Ya, she just ate them haha ;)

Oh definitely go! So worth it! Especially in the summer heat, it’s so refreshing. I went to the one in Mong Kok but you can find them everywhere.

Erica

December 21, 2010

I love mango… it is one of my favorite fruits! Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy holidays!

December 22, 2010

Hi! Thanks for dropping by :). You’ve got some very interesting and different food on your blog. I just love the Swedish meatballs with noodles.

December 22, 2010

You should also try green mangoes with bagoong. The bagoong does the wonder!

December 23, 2010

What is bagoong? I’m loving this new idea for eating mangoes :D

December 23, 2010

I don’t know how to explain what bagoong is so I just googled it up.

According to Wikipedia, “Bagoong is a Philippine condiment . . .made by mixing measured amounts of fish (or shrimp) and brine, which are traditionally then left to ferment from between 10 to 12 months until it produces bubbles and acquires its characteristic pungent odor.”

Pungent odor. Please take that in a nice way. :P

Bagoong can also be a substitute for salt. Because, apparently, bagoong is salty.

December 23, 2010

Haha your comment made me laugh! ‘Pungent odor’ lol. I will have to try this one day :D

December 22, 2010

I love mango too any time of the year, those hearts looks adorable!

December 23, 2010

They are great aren’t they? Nothing beats it :)…maybe durian…always wanted to try making your mango delight dessert because it looks AMAZING.

Juliana

December 22, 2010

Mangoe…so yummie! Love it! The heart shape mango are SO SO cute :-)

December 23, 2010

Haha, thanks! I think they’re cute too but don’t think I’d have the patience to cut them myself :)

December 23, 2010

haha i think i should be able to dig out the recipe for you~ i seriously do not like dried fruits i think they taste obnoxiously sweet! if you ever come to singapore please remember to look for me!

December 23, 2010

Gasp! You know how to make it?! Is there nothing you can’t make lol. Oh yes, but that’s why an obnoxiously sweet-tooth like me loves them ;) teehee. I have to cut down. But yes! Will definitely look you up if I visit Singapore! And likewise, if you ever visit Scotland! :D

December 23, 2010

For mango food trip, please look for me when you go to Philippines. :P

But plan ahead. Mangoes, of course, like any other fruit, are seasonal.

December 23, 2010

Jenn, you know I’m likely to take you up on that offer right? ;) Carabao mango and bagoong here I come!

Biren @ Roti n Rice

December 23, 2010

I love mangoes too! Good thing we can find very good ones here in the summer. I made a glutinous rice cake with a mango custard topping sometime back and it was delicious! If I ever visit HK, I would love to go to this mango place. Your mom must have cut those heart shaped mangoes for you :)

Merry Christmas Sharon!

December 23, 2010

If you ever visit HK, let me know and I shall equip you with a list of places and things to eat :D. That cake with mango custard topping sounds too delicious for words. I must find it on your blog. And Merry Christmas to you too!

December 26, 2010

Hi Biren, you guessed it all wrong. Those heart shaped mango pieces were not cut by me. I would have done a better, quicker job…just use heart shaped cutters :P Well, see, always have to check with mom first…haha. Sharon sure owes me a lot of good food. She cooks all these nice food while I was away…hmmmm. I love mangoes too, but not as crazy as Sharon…30 in a week!!!!

December 26, 2010

Yes mom, I owe you good food. I think I get it now. That message has been on constant repeat since you got back! :P.