Misadventures

Cooking Confessions

Cooking Tools - The Basics

Cooking has never been much of a success for me and offering to cook any meal would send my family running for the hills. My mom cooks fabulous mouthwatering food, but I evidently did not inherit that gene. She cooks food to perfection while I use smoke alarms as my timer. I have cooked food till it’s black and crispy, got smoke and soot all over our white cabinets in the kitchen, microwaved food in aluminum foil (which was a very very VERY bad idea), and baked cookies that could break your teeth. One thing to my credit is that my omelettes normally tasted quite good…after you picked out all the egg shells. Eggs ought to be shell-less.

But I have come a long way since then and I’ve learned a lot. For one thing, putting foil in the microwave sets off shooting lightning-like blue sparks before going ka-BOOM (don’t try this at home!). And if by any chance this happens to you, don’t just stand there thinking “Wow blue sparks! What a cool experiment!”.

I’m a much better cook now, though I still have lots to learn. So I decided to start a Recipes Section for the food I manage to successfully (or not so successfully) cook and also enjoy eating. For the most part, I try to cook as healthy as possible yet not compromise on taste and flavour. After all, diets don’t work and this is the only way to have your cake, eat it, and still fit into a bikini. I may have been a terrible cook who assasinated food but all of us have been through that phase, right?

Right?

“There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won’t and that’s a wife who can’t cook and will.” ~Robert Frost

Mark

December 2, 2010

Good luck cooking, Sharon. Hope no more blue-spark ka-BOOM ‘experiment’ !
    I like your quote from Robert Frost.

December 3, 2010

Thanks Mark! Hopefully the kitchen still remains standing haha

January 3, 2011

Sharon

You crack me up! I’ve had a fair number of cooking disasters myself. You should write about those and your successes, too. That way it is more blanaced and realistic. Plus doesn’t everyone feel better knowing that somebody else screwed up sometimes? I remember the first time that I tried to cook Italian eggplant and the dish came out a spectacularly hideous purple blue gray. Ugh!

January 3, 2011

Haha I’m glad to have amused! I write about anything that I whip up in the kitchen – the good, the bad, the ugly. With all the pro food bloggers out there, it does feel better to read about un-pro messes from time to time. Although it’s a little embarassing when you’re trying out another blogger’s recipe but totally screw it up. Like my Swiss Roll Bombe that tasted like a piece of leather. Would’ve loved to see that eggplant dish ;).

LeQuan

March 5, 2011

“don’t just stand there thinking “Wow blue sparks! What a cool experiment”. oh gosh you crack me up. and yes, all of us have assassinated food. sadly to say, i still do it. this reminds me, i really need to organize my blog and get up a recipes page.

March 7, 2011

You’re talking to science geek to the core here lol. Oh definitely do that! Make it even easier for me to stalk your recipes :D ahaha.